Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Wedding: Part I

After dating for a little over a year, Edwin asked me to marry him in January of 2009. At first, we thought it would be best to elope, we could avoid the costs of a wedding that neither of believed to be necessary and we could also avoid the family ordeals we had so often known to surround a wedding. We would marry in Italy and everything would be taken care of by the time we got back, but after a year we decided it would be far more romantic to have a true wedding that we could plan and remember in the years to come.

It was a weekend wedding. Family and friends in the wedding party arrived the Friday a few days before and we had the wedding rehearsal. Everything felt so surreal after all of those months of planning and visualizing. It was incredible to see everything coming together. My in-laws threw us a beautiful rehearsal dinner at a romantic winery a few miles from the wedding site on Saturday night. I spent the day with my mother and sister. It was a bit bittersweet as the last day I would really belong to just one family.

My best friend Hanna stayed with us that night at the hotel in Malibu. We were all so excited we really didn't sleep at all and just whispered and laughed until about four in the morning.

When I woke up it was still dark outside and I just couldn't believe that I had actually made it to my wedding day. The day I would finally get to marry the love of my life. I didn't see Eddy very much that weekend, which was very surreal in itself considering that for about three years we never spend more than a day apart from one another. We were completely insperable.
I had a lot of time to think and reflect during my last days as an unmarried woman. I thought about how far we had come from the very beginning of our relationship. We were so incredibly young back then and even if Edwin is a lot older than me, we were so naive about our own feelings and what we would come to mean to one another. When we met neither of us wanted to marry. I didn't want to have children. I still believe that if you know what you want you will always be able to attract it, but it was different with him.
I don't think either of us really knew exactly what we were looking for, but we did manage to find one another, we fell in love, and everything else fell into line from there.
I grew up, my tastes changed, my friends changed, my entire life shifted and moved from one track of life to another, but I truly feel it was for the better. I have so much more patience now, patience with myself, patience for my relationship. I'm more selfless, more decided.
And when you're in a relationship and it seems that everything is coming together what else is there to do but get married. So we did.

I showered and had my hair arranged just as planned. We got some Peach Perfection smoothies from Jamba and before I knew it my bridesmaids arrived at my room and it was time to get dressed.


One of my best friends helping me put on my dress.
My hairpiece was by Lo Boheme via Etsy.




Vegan tulle and satin shoes by The Generation on Etsy.


We had berries in our champagne.



My little sister and maid of honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment